Using extensions proxies

Apr 13, 2012 at 9:45 AM

Hi,

Just a general question, do you have any guidance or advise to developers using VSTO contrib regarding use of WithComCleanupProxy. I see in the outlook sample you make extensive use of them, but  not for example in the Word sample project.

Cheers Ed.

Coordinator
Apr 13, 2012 at 10:52 AM
Hey Ed,

My blog has an extensive blog post on the subject of com interop and when to cleanup (which the cleanup extensions wrap).

Now the biggest problem with word is to do with a feature in the .net 4.0 which allows you to omit the ref keyword which the word API is unfortunately littered with. Now this feature only works on COM interfaces. My com cleanup proxy extensions return .net interfaces, so the API usage becomes crap again.

My guidance around using it stays the same, I just haven't been able to make the word usages as nice :( I wouldn't use the proxy versions, just the normal WithComCleanup extensions.

Hope that helps answer your questions. I am on a doco kick at the moment, I am still probably a few weeks away from getting to vsto contrib, but I really want to get back to it. So any feedback/suggestions etc would be very handy :)

Sent from my Windows Phone

Sent: 13/04/2012 5:45 PM
To: Jake Ginnivan
Subject: Using extensions proxies [vstocontrib:352196]

Hi,

Just a general question, do you have any guidance or advise to developers using VSTO contrib regarding use of WithComCleanupProxy. I see in the outlook sample you make extensive use of them, but not for example in the Word sample project.

Cheers Ed.